« Home | Reasons Why I Hate Big Brother » | Reasons The Wench Is Awesome » | Reasons I Haven't Been Posting » | Reasons I'm Glad To Be Home » | Bands At The Download Festival 2007 » | Stupid Long Words » | Things I learned about Spain » | Reasons To Hate David Caruso » | Words That Are Hard To Rhyme » | Redundant Phrases » 

Friday, August 17, 2007 

Top 5 Nationalities I've Been Mistaken For

I've traveled a little in my life, not enough that I'd call myself 'well traveled', but more than the average person. In the course of my travels I've often been mistaken for different nationalities. This is mainly because I'm in that particular country and people just assume I'm from there. It's not that big a deal when the people don't speak the same language as you, as you can't really notice accents unless you speak their language really well, so generally you just shrug, smile and speak louder and slower.

So the times I've been mistaken for being a different nationality, people have guessed that I'm:

1. American
2. Canadian
3. German
4. Irish
5. Australian

The first two were in random countries, with the locals assuming I was from Canada or the US as I spoke English. The third I was actually in Germany and someone started speaking to me in German. Luckily I actually know a little German, so I got him to speak for me (sorry, that was a bad Dad pun). I do actually know some German though so I didn't have to resort to the usual obnoxious foreigner routine.

The final options cropped up while I was taking my year out before going to university. I was working in Canada at the time, in a gas station. I'd just served some random Canadian dude and he looked at me strangely and said 'I like your accent, you Irish?'. I could probably have excused this, but as my accent sounds about as similar to Irish as it does to a seven year old Russian I couldn't help but say 'No, I'm English'. The man shrugged and replied 'Ah well, same thing'. Now in case you don't know, Ireland and England are entirely different countries, sure we talk English, but so does South Africa, it doesn't make us the same. So to demonstrate my point I dangled in front him: 'I guess if your American it sounds pretty similar'. 'I'm Canadian', came the proud reply. As Captain Canuck totally feel for the setup I swooped in with my reply, 'Ah well, same thing'.

Sometimes it's fun being an obnoxious foreigner.

Labels: , , , ,

A woman, most likely someone looking for a handout, approached me in Paris and immediately started in with her sob story. I knew enough French to know she wanted something, but I couldn't figure out what, so I just told her that I didn't speak French... in French. She looked SO confused.

Reminds me of Family Guy when Peter is getting a lift with a load of mexicans. "You don't speak English?" "Nope, just those two sentences and this one explaining them" "You serious?" "Qué?"

I always get mistaken for german, i speak to people in an english/yorkshire accent, even in english, even in GERMANY and they ask if im german!

Oddly enough, nobody's ever mistaken me for anything but a New Zealander when I'm abroad. But in my own country? I've been mistaken for Australian, Canadian, British, Swiss, Irish and even South African. Must be something to do with my mix-and-match speech patterns.

Anyways, dig what you're doing... Keep it up!

P.S. R. Kelly's Statuatory Rapier? Hahahahahahaha!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Ugly Toy
  • From York, N Yorkshire, United Kingdom
  • I'm not that interesting, I just write here
My profile | Email me

 Subscribe to this blog

 
Powered by FeedBurner


Urban Word of the Day

Blogs I Read

Add to Technorati Favorites Hot or Not

Humor blogs Top Blogs

Humor Blogs Humor Blogs

Humor Blogs - Blog Top Sites Top Humor blogs

British Blog Directory. 

 

Humor-Blogs.com

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

eXTReMe Tracker