« Home | Shotgun Rules » | Types of Crap » | Commercials I Hate » | Ways To Pay Your Rent » | Spartans » | Ways To Resolve An Argument » | Things That Annoy The Wench About Our Neighbours » | Reasons I Think I'm Getting Old » | Ways To Stay Awake At Work » | Things That Make You An Asshole - Commuting Edition » 

Thursday, May 03, 2007 

Top 5 Redundant Phrases

Must post something! It's getting towards the end of the week and I've been really busy. Work is finally become pretty demanding, so I'm trying to find time to come up with a post every now and then.

I'm not a Grammar Nazi. Most of the time I capitalize the wrong words, my punctuation needs a lot of work (what's a colon?), my spelling has deteriorated since spell check arrived. However I still get OCD about certain things. I hate redundancy. Here's my Top 5 redundant phrases:

1. Twelve noon
2. Advance warning
3. Cash money
4. Free gift
5. Exact same

There are a lot more redundant things in speech that annoy me. Like PIN number, or ATM machine. The word is in the abbreviation, it's not a personal identification number number is it? I think this stems from my laziness. I'm all about efficiency. If something is extra effort then I don't bother with it and it annoys me that other people wouldn't take the easier option.

This may sound petty, and it is, but I like making things easier for people. Automation is your friend, simplicity is your fuck buddy. I'd rather spend 15 minutes creating something to make a job easier than just jumping into something that's going to be long and hard. On the other hand I'm also a pretty big hypocrite, but I guess that's all part of being lazy as well.

Labels: , , ,

You forgot a few of the best ones.

Government Intelligence
Voluntary Taxes
Natural Additives
New and Improved

I think there might even be a website dedicated solely to listing oxymorons.

Good post.

"Government intelligence" is an oxymoron. Just because something is "new" doesn't mean it's "improved"--it'd be disappointing if it *wasn't*, but that's a different issue. "Natural additives" doesn't belong on either list, because additives can be natural or artificial.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Ugly Toy
  • From York, N Yorkshire, United Kingdom
  • I'm not that interesting, I just write here
My profile | Email me

 Subscribe to this blog

 
Powered by FeedBurner


Urban Word of the Day

Blogs I Read

Add to Technorati Favorites Hot or Not

Humor blogs Top Blogs

Humor Blogs Humor Blogs

Humor Blogs - Blog Top Sites Top Humor blogs

British Blog Directory. 

 

Humor-Blogs.com

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

eXTReMe Tracker